Saturday, January 05, 2013

So many thoughts


Does Alex look wistful to you?
So many thoughts go through my head lately. While driving, sleeping, trying to sleep.

It is just over two months since I first took Alex to the vet, afraid for the answers, but sure we needed to know. Once diagnosed with gastric carcinoma and inflamed bowel disease, he stayed pretty much the same. Just rested longer and deeper. Still screamed at the mailman, bounced at the back door when going out, wrestled daily with the cat, dove into the collar if a walk was mentioned. He was eating well, only throwing up every 4 days or so, easy to forget, ignore, dream that he would stay a long time - like I always thought he would.

I held off on extra mediations as long as I could. Starting with only generic Prilosec and Pepto. When he started vomiting two times a day, we added the cerenia, as needed.

Just in the last 4-5 days, this has changed. He does not want to eat -  even that "great canned stuff!"  He walks away from the bowl and lets the cat nibble.  This is heartbreaking for a dog that always ate with gusto and was a charter member of the clean plate club. I made a couple batches of what I am calling Alex-stew. Ground turkey, mashed carrots, rice, and such. He does not want that anymore, either. Funny, I put down dry kibble that he has not had 6 weeks and he dug right in, for a minute.

I talked to Dr. Collette at Park Hills Animal Hospital and Dr. Libbye Miller, among others. We started the cerenia daily and I made a trip to Kroger for baby food, more cottage cheese, sour cream and such to tempt him.  He dives in, but does not stay long. Wanders off or just lays down and sleeps.  Like an old person who forgets what he was doing.

Alex is still ready to go, if only I will say the word. He loves to say hi to the neighborhood and ride in the car. He jumps up slowly, no longer levitating like he used to.  Oddly, he is uncertain about jumping out of the suv now - more like what I would associate with sight or depth perception than stomach distress. Soon, I will be lifting him down. Sadly, that will not be an issue, as he continues to lose weight.

He is resting now at my feet, having eaten a little bit of sweet potato baby food. The floor looks like some old lady's floor with 20 cats, little bowls of bits all over. I only give a taste, then let him eat as he will.  Hours later, I clean up what is left before we go to bed. The fridge has several open cans, waiting for another try.

I decided to add this to Alex's blog for two reasons:  it is part of his story, so needs to be here and I could not find an expectation of what would happen anyplace else. I do not have the courage to ask any of the vets or surgeons what the prognosis is for Alex. I often cannot talk about it at all. But I do need to share somehow. Maybe this will help someone else.

As Alex continues to get all my attention, I want to thank the wonderful Tervuren folks that have helped me over recent weeks.  We have many wonderful veterinarians that gladly give of their time, talents and compassion to help me and Alex.  Dr. Libbye Miller, Dr. Cathy Greenfield and Dr. Deb Eldredge.

As Alex and I explore the rest of his days, hold your own close. Share a moment and build a life with them. God bless.