Friday, January 18, 2013

Alex joins his friends


This is a photo I took several years ago of my Carlos, Alex and Gregor the deerhound, December 2005. 
They are now all running together again. 

After Alex and I walked today, I gave him a bath to wash the urine out of his coat where he had been laying. While I was sitting on the floor, brushing and drying, some bright yellow urine dripped on my leg. Lightbulbs came on and I realized that while he had not actually peed in a couple of days, he was slow leaking the entire time.  I had thought he was just wetting the bed, but all of a sudden, I was just as sure I had been wrong. I called the vet back and we went over right away. I thought perhaps there was a blockage preventing him from going.  For the first time since this whole thing started, I felt a sense of urgency, like I could and should do something sooner rather than later - and that it might have some (even short term) effect. 

Alex weighed in at 63 lbs.  Wasn't that long ago he was 52.7. I knew there was no way that was good, with his bones still showing alarmingly. Dr. Collette felt his abdomen and said he felt distended. They took x-rays in the back room. Dr C came out and took me back to look. "Not good," he said quietly.  Alex's stomach was filled with blood.  He said he was surprised he had looked/acted so good when we came in, seeing this blood now. 

There was only one decision to make and time was no longer on our side. We all kissed Alex good-bye and held him, letting him go on his way to join his old friends. 
I did have them send the blood and samples to Tufts. It is all I can do for the next Tervuren and their people. Maybe someday.



Thank you, ♡