Saturday, January 12, 2008

broke my ankle, January 2


What a way to start the New Year! We had a beautiful, powdery snow and I worked from home to save the highways and be safe. There is some irony there!
I let Alex out about 3:30 and he started fence barking with the dog visiting next door. Could have just let them wear themselves out, but no. I went up the hill to corrall him and after dropping on my butt a couple times, I heard the fateful CRACK!

I boot-scooted down the hill, across the stone patio area, down the steps, across the deck to the back porch. This is the area that Alex has previously been known to FLY across in 3 landings or less! Did I mention it is 10 degrees and I have no jacket on?

I acheived the kitchen floor and the neighbors came through the front door. In short order, we called the Cinti firemen who put my leg/ankle in a splint and carried me down to the car.
Fast foward to 1/8 - surgery. So painful I slept through all of it and most of the day. Stayed overnight in the hospital and then came home to the street. My cast was caving in the back, which gave us cause for another visit and a chance to take this gorgeous photo of what used to be a "fairly turned ankle."

I am home recuperating now. Alex is spending some quality time with club member and friend, Sue Young. What a blessing friends are! They have taken care of both Alex and I over the past two weeks and I know we will need them constantly in the next two months. A big furry kiss and hug to each of them!

Now, about airline travel - think I need a note from my doctor about extra metal in my ankle! Oh well....................
I hope you have a safe and wonderful new year!